“The people were astonished at his teaching…” (Mark 1:22)
When is the last time you experienced an amazing moment, a sense of being truly astonished? Several instances come to mind when I think of amazing moments in my life:
- the first time I saw the morning clouds rising off the foothills of the Austrian Alps
- the first time I saw St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome
- standing on top of a mountain after a hike
- holding a newborn baby
- listening to the giggles of my nieces (my nephew doesn’t giggle as much now as he nears his teen years)
- making the Body and Blood of Christ present on the altar through my words and hands
- forgiving sins in Christ’s name in the Sacrament of Reconciliation
For me, these are amazing moments.
Hopefully we all have had amazing moments. They’re moments that take our breath away and deeply touch our hearts. They bring us joy and a sense of peace. And if we’re spiritually attentive, we can have them more often.
You see, the Lord desires that these amazing moments lead us to contemplate Him, the Truly Amazing One. For every moment of amazement is a glimpse of God’s amazing beauty and love.
The Lord wants us to be amazed by His eternal love for us. He wants our hearts to be captivated by His loving and merciful presence. This is why, I believe, He allows these amazing moments to touch our lives: so that we can experience His amazing love for us.
So, the next time you are truly amazed; the next time you hear the uplifting laughter of a child or see a spectacular sunset or listen to a beautiful song, remember that the Lord is reaching out to you. He is amazing you with His love and presence; He is using the ordinary circumstances of your life to raise your heart and mind to the extraordinary reality of His love.